Sunday, December 23, 2012

Mouth-Open-Awestruck-First-Time-In-New-York-Tourist


Day #2
THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES

Next on the agenda was a trip to another iconic New York City institution
Radio City Music Hall and the Rockettes Christmas show
Since December of 1932 Radio City has been entertaining people, young and old alike
From vaudeville, to famous opening night movies, like White Christmas and King Kong
It’s served as a place of beauty offering high quality shows at affordable prices
The architecture and interior details are stunning vintage art deco
The show itself was absolutely fabulous
The lavish costumes, beautiful dancers, creative routines, great props, the live orchestra
And the gorgeous portrayal of the nativity with live animals
Was enough to overwhelm the senses
It was so enchanting it was easy to get lost
I forgot to take off my 3D glasses twice
The girls were more than happy to point that out
I was just fulfilling my role as mouth-open-awestruck-first-time-in-New-York-tourist
So, (roll of the eyes, talk to the hand) what-eeeevvver!

RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL

TIN SOLDIERS

THE BIG RED BUS

LOOK AT ALL THOSE LEGS!

Later that evening
Emily, Marilyn and I spent time wandering around Rockefeller Center and Times Square
There were plenty of ice skaters
The Christmas tree was standing tall in the plaza
Surrounded by scaffolding so they could string it with thousands of twinkling lights
The store windows were dressed to delight, tempting shoppers to spend their money
We pressed our noses against a chocolate shop that featured treats from Switzerland
I don’t know anyone who can afford $88.00 a pound for chocolate
I wonder if they could cut a bonbon in half for me?
The Anthropologie windows were my favorite
They were so creative and whimsical – beautiful winter scenes
Featuring the most gorgeous clothing and items for your home
Laced with winter wonderland snow scenes
It was fun to window shop since that’s all my poor little pockets could afford
I’ll take away the memories and photographs instead since they’re my favorite things
Next stop, Time Square
The bright lights, the milling crowds, the sights, the sounds, the breathtaking buildings
The half-naked cowboy
Yes, you read that correctly
He was tall, muscular, dark, and I’m sure handsome, though I couldn't see his face
He wore only a pair of white skivvies with cowboy boots
A wide brimmed hat, and a guitar
It’s New York – what do you expect?
And no, there are absolutely no pictures
Once I spotted him it was all I could do to trip over the walkway
Eyes glued to the ground, which is very difficult
When you’re making your way through thousands of people
Gawking at all sorts of sights, including Skivvy-man
“Avert your gaze, ladies and for heaven’s sake, don’t make eye contact!”
I wonder what his mother is thinking right now?
“Well, for God’s sake, Harold, make sure you’re wearing clean underpants!”
“You never know when you might be in an accident!”
Well, there’s a memory I’m not sure I want to take away with me

ROCKEFELLER CENTER
ANTHROPOLOGIE WINDOW
BROADWAY MARQUIS
TIMES SQUARE
BRIGHT LIGHTS BIG CITY

While the three of us were enjoying the sights
Janine was being treated to the Patriots-Jets game at MetLife Stadium
Too bad the Patriots crushed the Jets, 49 to 19
No matter; it was a dream for them to share that memory together
The timing couldn't have been more perfect
In fact, three things on Janine’s bucket list happened on Thanksgiving Day
Watching the Macy’s parade, seeing Radio City Music Hall and the Rockettes
And going to a football game at MetLife Stadium with her younger brother, Johnny
In the Lord’s goodness and love for my sweet friend
He arranged all three on the same day to bless her heart
He cares for His children in such wonderful ways, even to the tiniest detail
All because He loves us
That’s something to be thankful for

NEXT UP
DAY #3
MANHATTAN HARBOR CRUISE 
TRINITY CHURCH

No comments: