Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Creative Space

It's just a small four foot table under the window in our home office. For me it's a space filled with creative ideas and inspiration drawn from the beauty of simple objects from the past: cream colored buttons, calling cards, children's wooden blocks, antique keys, Victorian advertisements and postcards, vintage lace, an old combination lock, sheet music from the 1800s, and crystal doorknobs rescued from a house scheduled for demolition. Each of these little items has it's own story. If they only they had a voice.

"So, what are you going to do with all that old stuff?" you ask. Honestly, I'm not sure yet but I do know they'll turn into beautifully interesting pieces, each with their own character and tale to tell. 

The antique markets are full of forgotten objects from lives long gone, faded gently-worn memories waiting for someone to love them again. I've always believed that people are remembered when their names are spoken aloud, their lives remembered when the things they loved are loved by someone else. It makes me sad to see old photographs and tin-types for sale in antique shops. I wonder who they once belonged to and what happened to their families. Some of my favorite possessions are the old sepia photos that hang in our home. My grandparents and great-grandparents smile down on us forever frozen in time. I love their beautiful faces and I see so much of our family in them. Perhaps someday when I'm gone someone will speak my name and love the things I loved.

VICTORIAN ADVERTISEMENTS
HANDMADE JOURNALS


INSPIRATION FROM THE PAST

2 comments:

Bonnie Anderson said...

Makes me think of our day out antiquing. Love the pictures, too.

Unknown said...

Bonnie,
Aw! I loved our day together. We have to make time to do that again sometime. I miss you, my friend.