Sunday, July 8, 2012

Happy Dependence Day



Red, white and blue flags, barbecue, fireworks, ice cream sundaes, swimming, boccie ball, friends and family - these are the wonderful ways we celebrated the Fourth of July. With gratefulness in our hearts we remembered the humble beginnings of America and the great legacy of the Founding Fathers.

America's independence from England two hundred and thirty-six years ago forever changed our destiny. A group of men, filled with radical ideas and a deep longing for justice and freedom, defied the odds and certain death, pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor to some of the most elegant words ever penned. The Declaration of Independence is filled with beautiful ideas; lines and phrases that would birth a new nation. Generations of Americans, no longer subservient to the monarchy, were deemed equal and given certain unalienable rights by the Creator - the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Yet, at the end of this incredible document declaring independence from the tyranny of the unjust, there is a small group of wonderful words - with a firm reliance on ... divine Providence. How could these men declare independence yet call for dependence on divine Providence? They understood the need for dependence on the Almighty as the centerpiece of their endeavors.

  
PATRIOTIC DOUG 
WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
KENDALL + ICE CREAM













With each passing year I endeavor to understand and appreciate all the more my need for the Savior and my dependence on His kindness and mercy. I want to think of each day as my own personal Dependence Day. 

I want to know that God holds my life and times and that nothing touches me without having passed through the hand of my loving Heavenly Father first. There's great comfort in relinquishing my plans, my agenda, my will, bowing my knee in utter dependence to the God of the universe. I can't think of a better way to celebrate than to remind myself of that fact each July fourth holiday. It just seem appropriate somehow. So, here's wishing you all a very happy Dependence Day!

CRAIG, JAKE, SARAH
& LOGAN'S WATERMELON SMILE

BOCCIE BALL WITH ATTITUDE
LOGAN, CHRIS, HEATHER & JASON

No comments: